However, we all know that traditional mac and cheese is loaded with fat and calories. We also know that the boxed stuff is generally a little scary, made of things we can't pronounce. So, what do we do?! We make it real food style. We sub in whole wheat pasta and create our own cheese sauce! Nutritional yeast is the superstar in this recipe as it is considered a complete protein and is loaded with B-complex vitamins. Taking no more than 10 minutes to throw together, this recipe is simple and delicious, and quickly satisfies any mac and cheese cravings you may have.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pasta (I used shells but any variety will do)
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (found at any health food grocer)
- 1/2 tablespoon Earth Balance
- 1/2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard (I used old fashioned deli mustard)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste
- paprika (optional)
- boil water in a medium sized pot, add pasta, and allow to cook for roughly 10 minutes
- in a separate pot, melt the the Earth Balance over medium heat
- in a medium sized bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour and milk
- add nutritional yeast to milk/flour mixture and stir thoroughly
- add yeast/milk/flour mixture to pot with Earth Balance and add mustard, garlic, and spices
- reduce heat to medium/low and stir constantly until sauce thickens
- drain pasta and place it back into its pot, add cheese sauce, mix
- plate and sprinkle with paprika
|stirring sauce, waiting for it to thicken|
About a month ago, the wonderful people over at Amazing Grass sent me a few products* to test out and review for the blog. I've been a fan of Amazing Grass for quite some time now but had not had the chance to check out all they had to offer. So, when the box arrived on my doorstep filled with green goodies, I definitely did a little happy dance!
Lots of good stuff, huh? I truly enjoyed each flavor presented in both the powders and and energy bars. While each product was tasty, I truly enjoyed the chocolate flavors the most. I am a chocolate girl through and through and these flavors did not disappoint. The bars are a good size and could easily be split in two and provide a snack on two separate occasions. More bang for your buck! I put the drink powders into smoothies along with some skim milk and some sort of frozen fruit like banana or mango. It produced a thick, flavorful smoothie without being chalky. While you can taste the greens, it is very subtle and in my opinion, enhances the overall flavor of the drink. The Amazing Trio (barely/wheat grass & alfalfa) powder was intense, no doubt. I wouldn't suggest leisurely sipping this bad boy on a relaxing afternoon. I poured mine into some OJ and took it like a champ. The stuff is potent but in a great way. You'll like it because it is good for you and you'll appreciate what it does for your insides :) These products are perfect for when life gets crazy and you don't have time to make the perfectly well rounded meal yet you want to get in your greens.
Thanks Amazing Grass!
Hope y'all have a relaxing Sunday evening.
*Amazing Grass sent me a box of freebies in exchange for my honest review.