I was in the mood to bake yesterday and was wanting something with berries in it. I spied some frozen blackberries in the freezer and thought they would work wonderfully in a muffin. I gathered my supplies and got to work. The result was a really moist, berry filled muffin that is perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. I ate one as pre workout fuel this afternoon and it did a great job of giving me energy without making me feel like I wanted to hurl while hitting the treadmill and weights. Perfect. They are made with whole wheat flour and for an added kick of nutrients, I included some flax oil. Gotta love your omega-3 and omega-6!
This is what you will need...
- blackberries (I literally just poured some in the batter until I was satisfied with the amount)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon flax oil
- 1/2 skim milk
- dash of vanilla
This is what you do...
- preheat oven to 400 and spray your muffin tin
- mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder)
- in a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients (maple syrup, egg, applesauce, flax oil, milk, vanilla)
- pour wet into dry, mixing until blended
- add blackberries to batter
- fill muffin tin cups roughly 2/3 of the way full
- bake for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned