Lets talk quinoa! Quinoa is a tasty, nutrient rich "grain" that can be easily prepared and enjoyed in a number of ways. Although it looks and tastes like a grain, in actuality it is a seed! The best thing about quinoa is that it is a wonderful source of protein, making it a staple in many vegetarian and vegan diets.
I use quinoa a lot when I am not in the mood to think up a creative recipe or when I'm pressed for time. I know that if I cook up a batch and throw it together with other random ingredients, I usually end up with a yummy meal in no time. In fact, I created this little meal last night on a whim and it ended up being great.
In the mix I've got...
- cooked multicolored quinoa (around half a cup?)
- one apple chicken sausage link
- sliced organic red pepper
- handful spinach
- drizzle of black cherry balsamic
- sprinkle of feta and parm
How to do it...
- place 1 cup quinoa in 1 1/4 cup water, bring to light boil, then let simmer on low, covered for 30 min.
- slice and saute chicken sausage in wok
- add peppers to wok once sausage warmed and cooked through, cook until tender
- throw handful of spinach in a bowl
- throw quinoa and sausage/pepper mix on top
- drizzle with balsamic
- top with cheese
This is a keeper! Enjoy.
Don't forget to check out the ICEdot blog!!!